My two most favorite people!

My two most favorite people!
Nauvoo, 2008

Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Race!!

Alright, first off, I have to say I'm sorry there are no photos to go with this post. Steve didn't take any photos, which is just fine! I'm just so happy he and V. were there to support me!
Last Saturday, the 15th, I ran in my first ever 10K! YAY! I was the very last person to cross the finish line, but that's just fine! I told Steve that there was a point during the race that I knew I was the last and I was thinking about that, and trying to not be disappointed in myself, when I thought," If I'm the last, that means I'll have the WHOLE finish line to myself!" So yeah, I focused on the thought that I don't have to share crossing the finish with anyone else!
I jog reeeaaally sslllooowww. Like an older person jogs. But at the start of the year I could barely run 1/2 a mile. So I thought, even though I'm slow, at least I'm doing 6 miles! Steve pointed out that even though he can run faster than me, he doesn't think he could go 6 miles. Now that my race is over, I want to take it easy on my running and just do 2-4 mile runs and work on my pace. Later, I do want to try longer distances, but like I said, right now I'll take a break from the distance and just focus on my speed or just enjoying the jog w/o pushing myself too hard! I told myself I didn't want to walk at all during the race. Even on some of the hills{they were small, but hills none-the-less} I ran up them. No walking! So I am hapy that I finished the race, and that I ran the way I wanted to!
When I reached the finish line I looked over and saw Steve and V. there cheering me on. And I was so happy! The thought crossed my mind," That's what I want to see at the end of my race here on earth. I want my family at the end waiting for me!" A little sentimental I know! I'm not sure why that thought crossed my mind, but it did!

6 comments:

Sharie said...

Awesome job! I'm a slow jogger too - I think some of the speed walkers crossed the finish line before I did :).
A friend of mine who trains runners said that when training run 3 -4 days a week. One day being long distance run the other 1 or 2 days being medium runs and the last day a short but fast pace run. That helps you get use to long distance and speed without getting overwhelmed. I haven't tried it yet - maybe after this baby.

aabrownfamily said...

That's just awsome that you did it. Most people can't run that long without stopping. Way to go.

Unknown said...

Way to go, Mary! I don't dream of running 10K's, a 5K is the longest run I ever want to compete in. I think that working on your speed training sounds like a good idea, you'll get faster quickly.

Becca said...

Great job, Mary! That's awesome!

Karen said...

Way to go!!I HATE running! My sis-in-law is trying to talk me into a half marathon but maybe a 10K is more up my alley!

Anonymous said...

Great job! It is so fun passing that finish line and finally getting done! :)