My two most favorite people!

My two most favorite people!
Nauvoo, 2008

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Steve's early Birthday present

Steve's birthday isn't until later this month. However, a friend of ours,Nate, called me a couple of months ago and suggested  we mount Steve's Pope and Young record making antlers from this deer for his birthday. He said he could do the work and everything. So I said okay.
Now, Steve is very proud of these antlers. He had them hanging in the garage so that he could see them every time he pulled in. So I told Nate he had to wait until the last possible moment before taking the antlers. Because I knew he would notice them missing. He called me a couple of Saturdays ago and told me he was ready for them. So, while Steve was napping I had Nate come over to get them. He had brought another pair of antlers to trade for Steve's, in the hopes he wouldn't notice them missing. So for the next few days I kept waiting for Steve to come in and tell me his antlers were missing. But so far, he hadn't noticed we had switched them out! Finally, Nate said the deer was done, so we set up a a time to go out to dinner with him and his wife and son, with the plan to go to their house later to make the grand reveal! So we get in the car, and was almost ready to pull out of the garage when I see Steve staring at the antlers that were hanging up in the garage. I was like,"Oh Crap! He's noticed!" But I said to him,"What are you looking at? Let's go, or we'll be late!" I was trying to distract him but it didn't work. He gets out of the car and walks up to the antlers. Then he turns around to me and mouths,"What the..!" He then looks around a little bit. Then gets in the car. I asked him what was wrong and he says," Someone stole my antlers and replaced them with a different set!" I acted all innocent and played along, rather well, I might add. Finally, after we'd been in the car for a little bit driving to dinner, he turned to me and asked if I had anything to do with his antlers missing. if not, he was going to call the police. So I told him I knew where they were and that they were safe. He was so relieved! He tried to get more details from me, but I wouldn't tell him anything. So we had dinner with our friends and then went to their house. They had a bunch of heads hanging on their walls. Nate told Steve to pick one out and take it home. At first Steve didn't understand. Then he looked at the far wall and said,"There are my antlers!" He was so surprised and pleased!


 

Steve and Nate talking about the deer and antlers.
Steve said this is the best birthday present he has ever gotten! Score! I'm the best wife ever!
[Now I just gotta find somewhere I'm comfortable having this deer head hanging!}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hillarious! I can't believe he noticed right when you were leaving to go and get them. So funny!

Karen said...

Oh that sneaky little Nate! How funny that he noticed the same day as he was getting them back. That's funny. You are a good wife!

Mel said...

Good luck finding a place! I told Trent if he ever mounts any he can stay in his room, the Garage! Also, good luck finding something to give him next year, you'll never beat this!