Hello again everyone! I think most of you know about my brain surgery I had done 10 years ago. But for those of you who don't know the story, here's the condensed version.~
In Feb. 2000 I found out I had an Epidermoid Tumor {a tumor made up of skin cells and skin tissue} on my brain stem. We found the tumor by looking for a cause of my headaches. {I've had headaches for as long as I can remember}. Instead we found the tumor. My dad found a really good neurosurgeon in Salt Lake who was interested in my case. When I met him I felt like I was in a de'ja'vu. I knew he was supposed to be my surgeon. My tumor wasn't cancer, it was something I was born with, but took 18 years to discover. So, Chemotherapy and Radiation would not take care of it. My only option was to have it surgically removed.So the first Monday in May,2000, I had brain surgery. During the surgery, some of my facial nerves were bruised and damaged. I woke up with the right side of my face completely paralyzed. After 2 months, I was able to twitch my cheek ever-so-slightly. I started exercising that twitch and eventually got most of the nerves healed in my face. But not completely,that's why the right side of my face is slightly droopy, my eye squints when I laugh and smile too big. The right side of my mouth is still partially paralyzed, I form my words with my lips pulling to the side. I pucker up and kiss more to the side of my mouth then straight forward. Anyway, I still suffer from migraines, fairly often. The tumor had nothing to do with them. I've had MRI's done every 2 years to make sure my tumor hasn't come back. I had one done last month and yesterday my doctors office called and told me that the MRI was clean. No sign of a tumor! I still need to get MRI's done every 2 years. However, I'm happy that next month is the 10 year anniversary of my surgery, and there is no sign of the tumor! YAY! The longer I go with a clean MRI, the better!
So, just a little personal information on me. I just wanted to share the good news that I'm still clean!!
My two most favorite people!
Nauvoo, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment