My two most favorite people!

My two most favorite people!
Nauvoo, 2008

Friday, March 1, 2013

I thought maybe I'd let you know how I hurt my back since I've been talking about it a little bit these last few weeks.
Last November I sneezed and immediately had pain shoot through my back. I doubled over and couldn't stand up straight. I walked over to my bed and laid down and was in so much pain. Over that weekend the pain lessened to where I could move around without hurting so much. And it slowly got a little better after that.
But sitting was horrible. If I sat for too long I would get this burning pain along my lower back. I ended up starting to come home from church early because I'd be hurting too much. Over Christmas, I took my rice bag with me wherever I went to warm up and put on my back while sitting.
Then In January I was helping in V.'s classroom and it was almost like torture sitting at the desk reading with her classmates! That's when I told Steve it was time I saw someone. I didn't know if I just needed a really good deep tissue massage or if it was something more serious.
I went to see Dr. Ellis. He is a chiropractor. After letting me explain what was going on he did a few tests. He said he was 80% certain I had a disk problem. So he told me to be careful, take it easy on my back and all and showed me some exercises to do to help strenghten my back/core. He also gave me some pills that are high in manganese {or something}. It's supposed to help disks.  He said most times disk problems will take care of themselves if we let them. However, he said I will need to be gentle with my back for at least a year for it to completely heal.
After seeing him for maybe 1 week I was starting to feel better. Then all of a sudden the pain was back with intensity! That was when he put me on more restrictions. No running/high impact exercising, no lifting over 10 pounds, etc. For at least until May. He said running isn't out entirely for the next year. Just to wait until May and see how I feel then.
This last Sunday was a really bad day. I hurt whether I was sitting, standing, or laying down. The only relief I found was in laying on my back on a heated massager thing we have. So that's what I did all day. Since then, I actually have been doing real good! The last 3-4 days I've only had a little bit of pain while sitting and nothing while standing. So I've been walking, doing the elliptical and still being careful. Dr. Ellis said to just come see him twice a week now instead of 3 times. But he said to be careful. Alot of times people get feeling better and then do too much too soon and go back to the beginning. So I'm still supposed to follow those restrictions he gave me until May. But I'm hoping that by then I'll be healed enough to start running again.
So what I've been doing when I go in to see him is he adjusts my back and neck, and stretches my lower back.  I lay on a heated bed with rollers to massage everything. They also put electricity on my back. And I get a small back massage. I think everything combined is what's been helping my back.
So yeah, that's what's been going on with my back. Steve and V. have been so good to help with the things I can't do right now.

No comments: